Sunday, July 13, 2008

hola de mexico!

hi everyone!!
I am in merida mexico safe and sound. so much has happened since ive been here that i dont even know where to start! my first day here was a little rough because i was so extremely tired. my host mom is extremely sweet. she is in her early 30s and has two kids Roberto and Regina. Roberto is 10 and Regina is 7, Regina is so precious. i want to bring her home. she is a little artist, she is always drawing on something or making something with her hands. Beatriz (mi madre mexicana) speaks english and helps with words when i dont know them. my first night here was rough, there are lizzards here that make a loud noise that sounds like someone tapping on glass and i heard one and thought i was someone breaking in, and then later that night around 2 i heard banging around and someone moving. thought someone was breaking in again so i turned on my light and the noise stopped. i got very scared. i turned out my light and then noise started again....and then i turned my light on again and it stopped. i was so freaked out that i decided to see if anyone was there (not smart i know) and i look out and i saw a guy standing there. i was so scarred that i ran upstairs to Beatrizs room and i couldnt even get words out. she told me she forgot to tell me that a guy named David lives in the back behind my room. I was so freaked out and had a hard time falling back asleep that night. Turns out that there is Another student from Gainsville Florida that is here for the summer. he is nice but I dont talk to him much. he usually comes to the hosue at like 3 or 4 in the morning.
Everymorning I eat fruit (Papya, mango, cantelope, bananas..things like that) toast (which is sold in a loaf as already toasted bread), and yoghurt. I love the food here. they have the BEST guacamole. Yesterday we went to Uxmal (pronounced ush mall) and it was so incredible! i have pictures from that. .. maybe later though.
for now i have 2 essays to read, 2 papers to write, 2 pages to write in my journal in spanish and that has to all be done in the morning. i need sleep for now.
i love everyone and miss everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Suzy!! I am so glad to see that you arrived safely. I have been praying for you! And hooray for young children : ) I know you were hoping for that. Can't wait to see pictures of all that you are seeing.

Much love!

s. wells said...

wow, i would be so freaked out about the guy. i actually laughed when i read that- because it's so random..."oh, by the way, there's a guy who lives behind you who may appear in the early morning..."

i love that you're living with a little girl artist- i hope you two get to have conversations and draw together, that would be awesome.

i actually really miss you.
but i'm very happy that you have a host mother who speaks english and has children that you like to be with.

oh, and i'm jealous of you eating mango every morning. i remember the days in the philippines when i had four or five mangoes. such gloriousness!

i miss you a lot. i can't wait to hear your spanish when you come back.

love love love!(and prayers!)

s.