Saturday, September 1, 2007

how and who I am.

Dear people who read this:
my apologies to you for not writing here as often as I should. School has been a big crazy mess. so here is the story-
I arrived in Montevallo Thursday of last week. I drove up past Montevallo actually and picked up Ssom then went back. we basically spent the afternoon unpacking my things and getting settled into the room. I am very proud to say that I am becoming a good driver on the interstate! before, I was terrified to drive on the interstate and merge with traffic and so on. and I found out that when you're alone and you don't have people saying things about your driving then it's a lot easier. so anyway, the first couple of days at school were a huge bore. we didn't have classes and so Catherine (my awesome roommate) basically spent our days playing card games and other assorted games we bought at wal-mart. we found a church to go to on Sunday and it was alright. I don't think we will go back again.
School started Monday and I didn't really feel that nervous. all of my classes went over really well and I got to know a few people.
In my 2-d Design class I had the opportunity to share with my class what I wanted to do after school, I told them all that I wanted to be a worship leader and that I wanted to art maybe on the mission field. That was the most terrifying thing I have ever done. and I was so excited when I actually did it. because of that conversation started in our class about mission work, and then the next class day a guy called me out and asked if I was the one who wanted to do mission stuff, I told him I was and he told me that he wanted to be a youth pastor. in another class the same kind of thing happened, I found out that the guy who sits behind me is a worship leader and he invited me to come to his church and lead youth worship there. I was very excited to say the least. I have always been concerned about tell people I was a Christian because I didn't want them to think things about me that weren't true, like that I would treat them bad or something. but then I realized that if I tell people that I am a Christian then I have an opportunity right there to show them what Christ is like, and that I am not like many other Christians.
I have also been meeting tons of new people. I was practically pulled along to a college Bible study thing which turned out to be amazing. I got to meet this guy that I had been wanting to meet for a while (he has a HUGE afro) and turns out that he is super nice and plays Frisbee. so throughout the week I have been meeting tons of awesome people and learning how to step out of my comfort zone and meet new people. and most importantly how to simply be myself when so many other people are all fitting into the cookie cutter personality that is required to be "someone". The Lord has really been showing me a lot about following Him and being a living example of who He is. I am getting a chance to take things that I have been learning over the years from family, Sean, Zach, Lisa (and many others) and putting it all into practice. I feared when I first left for school that I wasn't going to really grow a lot spiritually, but in the first week alone I really think I have. I am very excited to see what the rest of the semester will be like!
there are many other things I could write about but I must go do homework. :0) until next time!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds fairly productive thusfar.

A. Jones

Anonymous said...

Suz, how amazing is our God!?!!!!!!! I'm so excited for you and excited that you took that bold step to be upfront about who you are. As Jim Elliot would say, it is much easier when going into a new place to be all that you are without any apologies within the first few weeks you are there (it will prove to be such a testimony as you continue to minister and go to school there). I'm so proud of you!!!

You're post was touching...it brought some water to my eyes. I wish I could be there with you to discuss all that you are learning and doing. I can't wait until we can catch up!

Thanks for the post : ) I love you so so soooooo much!!!!

Laura and John said...

Wow! You are an awesome girl, and it sounds like you have had a fantastic week! I love to hear what God is doing in your life. I grew a ton my first semester away as well, and yours is a wonderful testimony to God's goodness and grace (already!). It is such an opportunity for the Lord to change us when we are out on a limb in his name.

By the way, just keep practicing on the interstate. While it may be easier without the comments, they also are not there to warn you of what you don't see. I want my awesome sister to stay safe. :)

Love ya! Come visit us sometime!

John

s. wells said...

yay! i knew you would meet other Christians up there. i'm glad to hear that you're growing- awesome stuff!

Anonymous said...

Stories!!! Finally!! I am soo proud of you!! You are a great example of the Lord's goodness!!Thanks for who you have been in my life!! I love you!!
keep me posted!!