Thursday, August 20, 2009

I updated a while back about what people at the limited to when they don't want to work, and now I will proceed to update with what people do in IT when the don't want to work.

There are 4 student workers, and over the past two weeks we have really had close to no work requests. I have been working on transferring all of the old President's chapel archives over into a digital format and putting them on the internet, there are a couple hundred total. That keeps me very busy while I wait for something to update on the web site or whatever someone asks me to do. So, there are only 4 computers for the student workers and each computer does a specific task. The one I work on does the cassette archives, the other prints cds, and the other does the media stuff...and the other is just there. If there is only one job for student workers to do now (which is archives stuff) and I am working on the only computer that does that...then what do they do all day???
Good question!
When there is nothing to do, and you don't want to do anything. We usually do what I am doing now...But I am actually putting archives into the computer as I type, I just pause and flip the tape when necessary.
I always wondered what they did and I found out yesterday.
I was printing out CD labels and uploading information into the computer and I had to lean over my desk to reach the CD duplicator, which was on Stephens desk. I reached over, and without him noticing looked at what was on his computer. It was definitely a YouTube video. all he did for the 4 hours I was at work was play on YouTube. But...every time someone would walk by he would pull up the work request forms and make it look like he was doing something. I don't have the guts to sit at work and watch videos. I find it daring just to check the weather...and writing a blog is....well.... something. (this is my first time)
Anyway, I thought is was interesting that he did nothing for 4 hours and got paid for it.

Joe and I are doing great.
I have a web site for photography now! when I'm done I'll post the web address.

2 comments:

Laura said...

PLEASE OH PLEASE Put up the web address!! Or at least hurry up and get it finished so I can see your lovely work. You should shoot me and John when we come up there.

love you!

Suz Driver said...

that is a great idea! lets do a shoot when you guys come up!