Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I only have two weeks of work left (not including this one) before I am finished for the summer. I actually have about 4 weeks before I leave for mexico, but I figured I could use a week off to go and visit people that I haven't had time to do since I was working, and maybe pack some things. Now, if I were Summer I would probably start packing now for the trip in 4 weeks. But alas, I am not and in all reality I most likely won't start pack until a day or two before I leave. I'm just a last minute person on those things.
I am beginning to get more and more excited about my trip, and at the same time realizing more and more how much I need to keep my spanish up. These days I just freeze up when the opportunity comes for me to use what I have been working so hard on for the past year. I won't have time for that in Merida. Yesterday at work a woman came in who couldn't speak english. luckily she was with her daughter who could. she asked at one point how much her total came to and her daughter didn't hear her so I wanted to tell her. once again I froze up and her daughter ended up answering. (doscientos cuarenta y uno y setenta y uno céntimo...or something very close to that). When I got home I pulled out my Spanish text book from the past year and started reviewing some vocabulary. It's amazing how quickly I forgot so many things, and then how quickly things came back after I looked over them.
I have already started dreaming about the day I come back, even though that is 2 months away. I know I will have so many great stories, and so many other things to give and tell people. I just can't wait.
But, until then, I am stuck in a store with a cd that plays on repeat all day and that smells like a medicine that should make you throw up. Since being back at The Limited I have picked up on some lingo that I had forgotten. some of which are things like:
"I'm running to the back"- meaning, "I'm going to go text someone really quick, I'll be back in a second."
"I'm going to the bathroom"- meaning "I'm really going to the bathroom, but I'm taking my phone to text or make a phone call, it may be a while"
"Can I take the trash out for you?"- meaning " I can't stand being in this store any longer and I have to get out now or I'm going to go insane"
"I'll check the dressing rooms" -meaning "I'm going to go look for clothes that need to go back while checking myself out in the mirror"
"I need to copy my schedule"- meaning " I am tired of working the floor and I'm going to take a break and take my time writing down my schedule".
That is just to name a few. and on that note I'm finished.

2 comments:

s. wells said...

your lingo sounds a lot like our lingo. funny.

Julie said...

Suz!

I am so excited about your trip to Mexico! I miss you and I think about you at least once a week...I ran into Dr. Vasquez the other week (at the gym of all places) and I told her I knew you and she said "she is so good!" (in reference to your spanish).

I can't wait to see you in August and hear all of your great stories!